We believe that the work that we do to support and foster innovation in health services research is vital. Our priorities are:
1. To convene, connect and support UK wide constituencies involved in producing or using HSR.
2. To mobilise HSR into practice, to support HSR capacity building and to achieve impact for HSR.
3. To influence policy leaders and funders to improve conditions for HSR and associated constituencies.
Our highlights of 2015
Over 300 delegates attended our annual Symposium in Nottingham which had over 80 strand presentations and 65 posters on display. Bringing together the worlds of research, policy and practice, the event saw the emergence of a number of new partnerships and featured much impressive new research.
We held three ‘Evidence & Evaluation’ seminars co-produced with the Nuffield Trust and Academic Health Science Networks (AHSNs). These looked at the evidence base for three current health policy initiatives and explored how evaluative research underpins successful policy implementation. The three initiatives were:
Our Spring meeting ’Perspectives on evaluation’ explored ‘appropriate evaluation’ and the trade-offs between timeliness, size and rigour. We were delighted to feature Don Goldmann, Chief Medical and Scientific Officer at the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI), at this event.
Our Winter meeting on the Impact of health services research brought together leading researchers and service leaders to explore the impact of our health services research on the planning, delivery and experience of health care.
Our links with AcademyHealth (USA) have been strengthened this year and new members have included AHSNs and NIHR CLAHRCs.
A snapshot of what you can expect in 2016 is as follows:
- A briefing from our regional Evidence & Evaluation seminar series with AHSNs.
- A practical guide on how to achieve impact in health services research.
- A spring meeting in Exeter in May on Patient Experience.
- The publication – in partnership with NIHR, MRC, THF and AcademyHealth – of our E-book 'Challenges, solutions and future directions in the evaluation of service innovations in health care and public health'.
- Joint sessions at AcademyHealth’s Annual Research Meeting in Boston in June 2016.
- Our annual HSRUK Symposium, taking take place in Nottingham on 13-14 July 2016.