NIHR ARC Wessex has been awarded £1.88m to work with other ARCs across England. Research will be focused on the health challenges faced by our growing older population - as much about staying well and supporting people as finding better ways to care for and treat people with the many multi-morbidities that can develop in later life. These funds will be used to commission outstanding research on these topics with the aim of delivering evidence-based service change at the supra-regional and/or national level.
The eligibility criteria for proposals are:
- Research should target priority health areas identified in NHS Long Term Plan and adoption at scale anticipated to have a significant impact on health outcomes of older people
- Proposed innovation proven to be cost-effective in at least one ARC region, with work already undertaken to support implementation and adoption
- Interested community of practice with commitment and capacity to adopt innovation evident in new region(s)
- Proposed research offers value for money
- Clear public and community involvement, engagement and participation
- Confirmed support from an NIHR Applied Research Collaboration to host the programme of work